Today I will talk about quinoa which pronounced as “keen-wah” It is a very popular food these days with so much of health benefits including weight loss so let’s know what Quinoa is first.
What Is Quinoa? It is actually a seed. The scientific name of Quinoa is Chenopodium quinoa. It is initially grown in South America in the Andean Region including countries like Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, and Bolivia. It is usually considered as a whole grain like white rice, brown rice, wheat, and barley. Quinoa is related to spinach and beetroots and is becoming a major food in America, Europe, China, and Canada. It generally grows to the height between 1m to 3m length. It is found in various colors such as white, yellow, pink, orange, red, brown, and black. It contains every amino acid. It is also very helpful in promoting healthy tissue growth throughout the body. It is used as grain & flour both the ways.
- Nutritional Values: It is very rich in its nutritional values as it is loaded with vitamins & minerals. It is a rich source of magnesium which helps to relax blood vessels and it is also very helpful in reducing Type2 diabetes as it controls blood sugar level. It has manganese which is a great antioxidant which helps the body from the damage done by free radicals. Good amount of manganese also prevents high blood pressure levels, high cholesterol levels, and neurological problems. It also has iron which keeps our red blood cells healthy. Iron also increases brain function because the brain takes in about 20% of our blood oxygen. It also has zinc, copper, Potassium and some amount of calcium, sodium, and selenium.
- Gluten-Free: This makes quinoa a very beneficial food for people with gluten intolerance or they are not allowed to eat gluten-containing food due to some diseases or they are following a gluten-free diet in any of such case quinoa is one of the best options they can opt. It can be easily replaced with white rice, wheat flour, and barley.
- High Fiber Content: Quinoa has much higher fiber content than most of the grains. Due to this factor, it is very effective in weight loss as it keeps you full for a longer time and suppresses your appetite along with weight loss it is very helpful in numbers of health conditions such as constipation, blood pressure, controlling blood sugar and much more.
- Rich In Protein: There are very few foods available in nature which considered as a complete protein and quinoa is in one of them as it contains all the amino acids this makes it perfect for our health. The high protein content can both increase metabolism and reduce appetite
- Great Source Of Flavonoids: Quinoa is a rich source of flavonoids (Quercetin and kaempferol) which protects you from chronic diseases including cancer.
- High In Riboflavin (B2): It improves energy metabolism within brain and muscle cells and is known to help create proper energy production in cells. It also helps with enzyme performance and oxygen delivery throughout the entire body.
- Low Glycemic Index: Quinoa has a very low glycemic index it has Glycemic index score 53 which makes it perfect for people suffering from diabetes & heart diseases.
- Effective For Weight Loss: As it contains high fiber it will give you the feeling of fullness for a long time which means it will reduce your appetite. It has low Glycemic Index score 53 which means it won’t spike your blood sugar which helps you in weight loss because When your blood sugar is unbalanced, it is difficult to continue with a healthy eating habit and you always crave for sweets resultant weight gain. Quinoa has very low in calories 100gm of quinoa only contains 143 calories which means you can eat more quinoa and you will consume fewer calories than any other grains or food which is very effective for weight loss.